Thank you for visiting my website and viewing my latest work!
I am a photographer in Lancaster, Pennsylvania that works in the Susquehanna Valley and throughout the Mid Atlantic area.
I shoot editorial and stock, and I create fine art images. As I go about my work, I also love to photograph people and I specialize in headshots, modeling portfolios, and family portraits.
I was born and raised in Lancaster, PA. Although I started off my professional life in law enforcement, it was not too long before I found that my true passion was photography. I truly enjoy being able to capture candid, real life moments and expressions that occur in people's lives, whether during a wedding, an event, or during casual portrait sessions. I really do enjoy creating images people will cherish all of their life.
I also remain fascinated by the art and science of lighting and today's digital photography. Superior portraits are those that are lit with off-camera lights and modifiers, in addition to being able to find exceptional natural light.
My stock images continue to grow. I have over 100,000 images in my collection, and I continue to expand my library regularly.
Some Information about George Sheldon
George Sheldon is located in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He is an active and full time professional photographer and book author. (George has written and published over 30 books!) This is not a hobby or pastime. This is his passion and his fulltime work. George started writing and photographing when he was 14. His first published work was in a magazine called S9. His first photo sale came the same year to the NFPA for film coverage of a major bank fire in the center square of Lancaster. And he has been working ever since. When he is not looking through a camera lens or adjusting a flash unit, you might find him writing about travel, Americana, business, or history.
Photo credit: ©Frank Tunis - www.franktunis.com
Ten Things about George:
- I drink too much coffee.
- My favorite TV show is Duck Dynasty - how can you not enjoywatching the Robinsons? (I hope I someday get a chance to meet them and photograph them!)
- I prefer colder weather over hazy, hot, and humid.
- I am working on another book - which will include more of my photography.
- I change my Web site too much.
- I use Canon equipment - always did, always will. (I tried Nikon, but prefer Canon.)
- I believes that owning photography equipment doesn't make you proficient - one of the things i often say is, "I could buy a scalpel, but that doesn't make me a brain surgeon." Buying a camera at Best Buy doesn't make you a photographer. Lots of practice and a lot of continuouse learning will make you a better photographer.
- George did CSI photography for years - he probably won't tell you about all the gruesome black and white photos he took and developed in a dark room. (Yep, he was a film photographer for years, and he worked with the chemicals.)
- Yes, George really did write books and articles, and really did interview a lot of celebrities.
- George would love to meet and photograph Dana Delaney. (She sure would make him happy if she would call and book a headshot session with him!)
Some of George's Books
Here are some of his books that include his photography:
There are many other books out there that George wrote - yes, over 30!
George is also a Pennsylvania Mason and a proud member of Lodge No. 43, the Valley of Lancaster, and the Valley of Harrisburg. For more information about Freemasonry in Pennsylvania, click here to access the PA Grand Lodge Web site. If you would like more information about becoming a Mason, contact him.
Remember this: When you hire George Sheldon, you get George Sheldon!
I am your photographer for each photo session. I am the one that does the artistic design work and retouching, and I personally oversee the print and framing of all your work. Yes, of course, I could hand these off to someone else in order to free up time to take on more events - or just to goof off, but quality is the key to me, and that superiority would be sacrificed. I hope that you see that it is not just you in your images, but a part of me as well, and I hope you appreciate the time and care that goes into every image I create - it's all to give you the ultimate in quality and beauty! -- George Sheldon
Sooner or later, you are going to ask yourself “why should I choose George Sheldon as my photographer?” It’s a great question, and one you should ask. Here’s my answer:
- We’ll have fun. Photography is fun. It can be a lot of work – especially for the photographer. But the end result is why we do the work. To get there, we will have fun – lots of smiles, a few laughs, but a great experience.
- We’ll create great images together! We’ll work to get the emotion, the excitement, or the look you want (and need). I truly believe that each image should tell a story, so we will work toward that goal.
- I don’t count the number of images I create. You are not on a meter with me – and once we get to a certain number, I stop. That’s not me. How many images will I create? As many as we need to create the images you want.
- I don’t watch the clock, either. We’ll take as much time as we need to get exactly what you want. While I do “sell” my time as a professional photographer, I don’t stop in exactly 15 minutes or at a precise moment. I work to get your images. Maybe I could make more money if I were a clock-watcher, but I am not.
- You will also find me very easy to do business.
- I am affordable - and offer reasonable, sensible prices.
From weddings to simple headshots, George Sheldon is available to help you. Just contact him and let him know what you need. As you look through the galleries on display here on my website and on my blog, you will see a good sampling of George Sheldon's work and what he is able to produce. We hope you enjoy the images.
My regular service area is the Susquehanna Valley - this includes Lancaster, Hershey, Harrisburg, Gettysburg, Millersville, York, Reading, Lebanon here in Pennsylvania. I also regularly travel to Philadelphia and Baltimore. (Of course, I will travel anywhere on assignment.) I offer on location, distinctive photography services. I do not operate a traditional studio, but rather I work from a home office and a small in-home studio. This is because of my strong background as a journalist and author. Over the decades, I have become accustomed to going to the story. I do that with my photography, too. I do have portable backgrounds and several lighting systems, allow me to have a portable studio. Of course, for those that prefer, they can come to my home and have a photo session here. Many people needing headshots do come to me for their session - or we shoot on location.
George is an active blogger. You can find his blog, simply called George Sheldon Photographer
Blog. You can also use the link at the top of this page to read his blog
. George also tweets – so you can find him on Twitter at georgesheldon
. George maintains a Facebook page at George Sheldon Photography